Wednesday 31 January 2018

Monthly Journal






January was probably the hottest month so far with weather soaring as high as 47 degrees Centigrade. Summer in Australia is really bad but, you will not understand this unless you experience it. At some points, I felt that my blood was boiling. I felt dehydrated and drained most of the time, experienced the worst breakouts and tanning. But, today it is 18 degree and I am sitting on my couch with a light blanket over me, sipping a hot cup of tea as I write this post!

Highlights of the month would be overdosing on peaches as my friend has a peach tree in her house and it bears enough fruit to feed four families (MashAllah). Hubby makes this amazing chaat (Salad) with just peaches and bit of salt, red chilli powder and lemon. Tastes heaven when it is chilled. This was my staple snack throughout the month of January.



If you missed this beauty on my facebook page, here let me show off my childhood favourite again, sharbat-e-haq bahoo, which every Pindite would know! It is rose syrup (Rooh Afza) with lots of chia seeds (tukh-e-malanga or tukh malanga) nuts, lemon and crushed ice. And if easily available some tragacanth (gondh). All these ingredients have a cooling effect and are really good to stay hydrated in such harsh summers. I made it without gondh as it may take me some time to find the place to get it.
Here is how beautiful it looks!



It is a really refreshing drink on hot summer afternoons. Please try if you haven't yet!

January is also hubby's birthday month! He had two birthday celebrations. A surprise birthday celebrated in advance and one the day after his birthday. Quiet and cosy celebrations just the way we like it.


Last year, however, we did a slightly bigger celebration that you can see here. 

The adventurous foodie in me is alive and kicking despite the heat. I revisited some places again in January and if I have to select one best 'foodie find' of the month, it will be this double samosa chaat from 'Beyond India Express' at Rundle Mall.


Really hoping that February is better weather wise. I have been slightly homesick too and can't wait to get over this feeling.

You can follow me on Instagram and Facebook and know more about my food adventures. 

Bye! 


No comments:

Post a Comment