Monday 31 May 2021

Birthday





I grew up in Rawalpindi, a small town of Pakistan. The biggest recreation in my childhood was trip to the nearest hill station, Murree. I remember the thrill and excitement we felt as our car drove through the winding roads lined with pine trees. A walk on the Mall Road, cherishing poorly made cup of roadside coffee, enjoying the soft ice cream cones and candy floss. In that age this was the height of joy, complete happiness and in those blissful moments, I romanticized that all my perfect and best days in the future would be made of these ingredients. 

For my birthday on the weekend, as a part of a series of surprises that my husband had planned, was breakfast at Utopia Waterfallgully which is at the foothill of Mount Lofty. I did not know where we were going as we drove on the winding road until we stopped at a narrow, steep parking space. Old, uneven stone steps between vine covered walls led us to the century old restaurant which had the typical winter feel. I loved it. I ordered a hearty plate of French Toasts without worrying about the calories and of course a cup of coffee. 

When we stepped outside after the breakfast, I felt the chill in the air coupled with the trademark winter scent. I posed for photographs with ease …knowing that the eye behind the camera knows me really well; the comfort and contentment. 

The childlike excitement of the surprise, the familiar sights and sounds, favourite songs in the car, the sugar rush… the happiness and pleasure that I experienced felt like I walked into my past or that I finally lived that moment I had imagined as a child - not grand, not extra-ordinary but just perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment